Thursday, 5 July 2012

Get The Look - Sweeney Todd





In a sort of celebration of being in the same county and breathing the same air as Johnny Depp the other day while we were both in Dublin, I thought I'd do a 'Get The Look' of one of my favourite movies of his, Sweeney Todd. Johnny Depp has been my favourite actor since I was about seven years old when I first saw him in Chocolat.
Being a film directed by Tim Burton and starring his wife, Helena Bonham Carter, and Johnny Depp, there was no doubt of it being received incredibly well when it was released in 2007. It went on to win three Golden Globes as well as two Oscars. It was also nominated for Best Achievement in Costume Design at the Oscars. 
The actual costumes for the movie were designed by Colleen Atwood, "We took a lot of liberties, but basically the time is mid-Victorian, but very loosely. It's not a precious period piece or a Merchant Ivory production, that's for sure." 

For the first set I just focused on Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett's general costumes.




Sweeney Todd








For the second set I focused on one of my favourite scene's in the entire movie. It's the scene where Mrs. Lovett performs 'By The Sea'. I love the costumes for this, especially now since it's the summer and it's very sailor themed.


Sweeney Todd at the Beach



Original Sketch Designs

Sweeney Todd

Mrs. Lovett

Pirelli

Judge Turpin

Sorry some of the photos aren't in line - Blogger has been acting up for me recently.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post, love your blog!

    Emma x
    http://beautyandrags.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete