Saturday, 28 July 2012

London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony


Originally I intended on watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics last night just for Paul McCartney's closing performance, as I adore that man beyond belief, but the entire show ended up being absolutely incredible. Thank you Danny Boyle.

The very start was just strange. I think for a moment there Danny Boyle got England confused with the Amish so I'm not even going to go into that. To brighten my mood however, there was a huge band of Sgt. Pepper's which I'm pretty sure no one was expecting.

Then out of nowhere, the Queen decides to jump out of a helicopter with James Bond. I think that may have been when I realised that this was going to be amazing.

After that, not a whole lot happened except a forty-foot Voldemort came out of nowhere while J.K Rowling was reading Peter Pan which obviously happens every day over in England. Also, Mr. Bean was on keyboard with the London Symphony Orchestra while acting like an angsty teenager on his phone.

Now on to my favourite part...
Suddenly, all of these teenagers come out on stage which I expected to be nothing of interest, but then, all of my favourite artists started playing - The Beatles, The Sex Pistols, Queen, David Bowie, The Who and The Prodigy to name a few. Needless to say, I freaked out quite a bit along with the entire classic rock fandom of Tumblr as we all blew up with excitement, and this is all before Paul McCartney even came out!
It's amazing how one country can produce such amazing music.
But then, just as I started to calm down slightly, my hero, the inventor of the internet, Sir Tim Berners-Lee appeared. 



After that there was the massive parade of countries no one has ever heard of. Even though it was the Olympics, I think I'm pretty safe in saying that this is the hour or so where everyone puts on the kettle and changes the channel until it's over - or in my case, until Ireland came out.

By the time that was finally over, I was just getting sick of it all and was dying to see Paul. Instead, The Arctic Monkeys came out and played one of their songs. I wasn't really bothered by the entire thing until they started to do a cover of Come Together by The Beatles! I absolutely loved their performance, not just because of that, but also because while they were playing a ton of cyclists came out with glow in the dark wings on. 


Finally, after a few speeches and the lighting of the torch, the time we had all been waiting for had arrived, It was finally time for Paul McCartney to perform. 
Without even being introduced he started playing In The End in his bespoke Stella McCartney jacket. Of course he then played Hey Jude which I spent the duration of the song screaming the lyrics at the telly and crying, as one does.
I saw plenty of people on twitter and various other websites complaining about how it wasn't his best performance and how he didn't sound great. Let me remind you that Paul is now seventy years old, he is hardly going to sound the same as he did when he recorded the song in 1968. He also tweeted later on that night "There was some talk of maybe being to playback but we decided against it we went live, live, live!" which could explain the strange echo at the beginning.

 



Pauls bespoke Stella McCartney jacket - detail
 There's also an incredible line up for the closing ceremony in two weeks time which I cannot wait for! You can be expecting another post on that too.


"Welcome to London!"
- Paul McCartney

No comments:

Post a Comment